Stocks under $1 is used to find the best penny stocks to watch for May 2022. Use our free penny stock scanner to search for top penny stocks to buy on Robinhood 2022.
published on May 17, 2022
Don't miss any hot penny stock gainers!
To get updates throughout the day (every 10 minutes), signup for a free account
Stocks Under $1
Stocks under $1 is a list of hot penny stocks to watch on Robinhood. Traders can find rising penny stock movers and daily losers as potential stocks to trade for swing trading or day trading.
Robinhood Penny Stocks to Watch
Following the penny stock strategies that we discussed in Penny Stocks Guide for 2022, below are the best Robinhood penny stocks to watch for next week. Some of the stocks may not meet our criteria yet but are worth watching on your Robinhood account or any other stock brokers that you trade with.
- Avenue Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ:ATXI)
- Camber Energy Inc (AMEX:CEI)
- Cypress Energy Partners LP (NYSE:CELP)
- Cuentas Inc (NASDAQ:CUEN)
- Houston American Energy Corporation (AMEX:HUSA)
- Hycroft Mining Holding Corp (NASDAQ:HYMC)
- Indonesia Energy Corp Ltd (AMEX:INDO)
- ION Geophysical Corporation (NYSE:IO)
- Ecmoho Ltd ADR (NASDAQ:MOHO)
- NeuroSense Therapeutics Ltd (NASDAQ:NRSN)
- Pyxis Tankers (NASDAQ:PXS)
- Sunshine Biopharma Inc (NASDAQ:SBFM)
- Sentage Holdings Inc (NASDAQ:SNTG)
- Sonim Technologies Inc (NASDAQ:SONM)
- Sonnet Biotherapeutics Holdings Inc (NASDAQ:SONN)
- U (NASDAQ:USEG)
Please keep in mind this list does not suggest what penny stocks to buy on Robinhood, it is a watchlist. You need to do your own research and decide which penny stocks to buy for yourself.
What Are Stocks Under $1?
Stocks under $1 are stocks that are trading below $1 and are commonly known as penny stocks. These penny stocks are generally trading on the NASDAQ and the OTCBB market. There are fewer penny stocks trading on NYSE and AMEX.
Why Are Stocks Less Than $1?
Generally speaking, penny stocks are cheap for a reason. They are cheap because most of the companies behind these penny stocks are not doing well and are on the edge of bankruptcy. Either the companies are struggling financially or lack a competitive product in their perspective market or both.
In other words, investors are not seeing a bright future with these companies and not wanting to own shares. Once in a while, however, some companies do make comebacks. AMD is a classic example. Its stock price was trading just above $1 back in 2015 and has risen to almost $100 per share today.
Are $1 Stocks Worth The Investment?
As we stated above, most $1 stocks are pure junk and are not worth the investment in the long term. Penny stocks are extremely risky and volatile. A beginner may lose all his money with one stock or trade.
In addition to risk, when a stock trades under $1 for too long, they may get delisted from a regular stock exchange like NASDAQ, NYSE, and AMEX, and move to the OTC market. Stocks trading on the OTC market are often manipulated and are targets of the famous pump and dump scheme. If you have seen the movie The Wolf of Wall Street, you will know what I'm talking about.
However, there is still good money to be made for short term trading. There are traders who make short term gains by day trading or swing trading penny stocks. This, of course, is not something a beginner does.
As with any other profession, trading takes time, effort, and experience to get good with. If a beginner is dedicated to learning all about penny stocks, she or he may have a shot at penny stocks trading.
Robinhood stocks under $1
Robinhood is a trading platform that offers a mobile app and website to trade stocks and ETF with commission-free trades.
Robinhood stocks under $1 are stocks that are trading on the NYSE, NASDAQ, and AMEX. Robinhood does not support trading on the OTCBB market.
Technically speaking, any stocks trading under $5 are considered penny stocks. A trader can find stocks under $1 on our site, and watch them on Robinhood.
Why Trading Stocks Under $1?
The #1 one reason why most people trade penny stocks is to get rich quickly, but that's actually the wrong mindset when it comes to penny stock trading. The ones who wish to get rich overnight are actually the first ones to lose all their money.
How to Buy Stocks Under $1?
You can buy stocks under $1 with most online stockbrokers, such as Fidelity, Ameritrade, and Robinhood. They have apps where you can trade on your mobile device. All three stockbrokers offer commission-free trades for NYSE, NASDAQ, and AMEX stocks. Ameritrade charges $6.95 per OTCBB trade.
How to Trade Stocks Under $1?
There are many ways you can trade stocks under $1. I will share a pullback trading strategy that works well for me.
- Stocks with prices from $0.5 - $5 - I only trade stocks that are listed on NYSE, NASDAQ, and AMEX.
- Look for Recent Spikes - I look for stocks that spiked more than 100% with heavy trading volume.
- Pullback 60% or more - After the spike, the stock should pullback at least 60% from the recent intraday high or 40% from the closing price with low volume.
The above three conditions are the minimum requirements for my trading criteria. I also utilize stock chart patterns, such as support and resistance to help me identify entries and exits and determine whether a trade is good in terms of risk-reward ratio.
For example, EVK was one of the stocks that met our criteria, and I posted this stock is a penny stock to watch back in November.
- EVK is within our trading range of $0.5 and $5
- EVK spiked over 587% during an intraday high on Oct 22 with over 149 million in trading volume. Notice the volume is so much larger than the normal volume for the stock.
- Since the spike, the stock has fallen over 74% with very low volume.
Since the stock met our penny stocks to watch criteria, I added it to my watchlist in mid-November.
- I traded the stock two times with the same entry price of $2.02.
- The first time I exited the trade with a profit of around 15%.
- I then rebought the stock on Dec 1 and sold it two days later when the stock gapped up and spiked almost 300% during intraday with a price of $8.30 and close at $5.25.
I invested $3,030 for 1500 shares. I sold 750 shares within the first 5 minutes when the market was open, and the stock was up about 200%. I then sold the rest of my shares at the absolute worst time, when the stock was down to about 130%. I sold them at $4.8, and the stock bottom out at $4.75, and rebound to a record high.
Overall, I made around $5,200 from this stock, which was pretty nice for holding the stock for 2 days.
Following is a screenshot from my Fidelity account which is a new retirement account I started a few months ago with a $6,000 initial investment. For beginners, I don't recommend trading penny stocks in your retirement account because penny stocks are extremely risky and you may lose all your money for your retirement.
This is actually the second biggest stock that I traded in the past few months. Back in July, I traded PSV which made an intraday move of over 500%.
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to capture all that profit. I sold when the market was open for a profit of about 75%.
The stock has now been delisted from the NASDAQ stock exchange, changed its symbol to HOFSQ, and moved to the OTCBB where it is now trading as a sub-penny stock. That is why it is
never a good idea to hold any penny stock for the long term, because there is only one direction where most penny stocks would go, and that direction is down and bankrupt.
Below is a screenshot of the PSV trade.
Since it was a new and retirement account, I didn't want to blow up my account as there is a limit of how much I can deposit each year. I only bought $1,500 worth of stock and made about $1,000 on this trade.
I want to grow the account slowly and so far I'm up about 200% since I opened the account.
To learn more about how to trade stocks under $1, read my penny stocks guide for beginners. I have modified and tweak my strategy a little bit since I made that guide.
1 Simple Options Strategy - 738% ROI
Hottest Technology Stocks
Why Most People Lose Money Trading Stocks Under $1?
Have you ever heard of any billionaire who got rich trading penny stocks? I bet you haven't. However, chances are you may have heard of Warren Buffett, the world's richest investor of all time. He doesn't trade penny stocks, he invests in big companies.
The reality is it is much easier for an average investor to buy and hold an Index or ETF fund and get better returns than buying penny stocks.
Most people have no idea how the stock market works not to mention how much risk is involved in penny stocks trading. They are not willing to spend time studying and learn about the market.
Instead, they get a tip from a friend or a family member and put all their money into that one stock. They may get lucky the first time or a couple of times and then lose everything on a single trade.
6 Rules For Trading Stocks Under $1
There are ways to make good money from trading penny stocks if you put your mind to the market and improve your skills and discipline.
It is hard work, and there is no shortcut to getting rich quickly. There are a few things that you need to learn and follow if you want to be successful in penny stocks trading.
- Discipline - Trading mentality is the most important skill that you must acquire if you want to stay in the game for the long term. It is an essential element of any winning trading strategy.
- Chart Patterns - You need to learn technical analysis and stock chart patterns to help you identify profitable entries and exits.
- Entry Strategy - You need to have an entry strategy to buy a stock whenever a stock meets your stock selecting criteria.
- Exit Strategy - An exit strategy helps you to sell a stock at the proper time. When a strategy is working on your side, it is easy to exit. However, when a trade is working against you, it gets difficult to admit wrong and sell the stock for a loss.
- Back Testing - Any trading method that you use, you should backtest it with real stock charts.
- Record Keeping - You need to keep a journal that records all your trades. The only way to improve your skills is to track your trades. By having a record, you can learn from past mistakes and do better in the future.
Stocks Under $1 App
At Stocksunder1.org, we provide tools that allow a trader to do research and find hot penny stocks to trade. You can also download our free penny stock screener app in the App Store and Play Store. The apps work the same way as our web tool where they scan the US stock market and find the top penny stocks for the day.
1. Penny Stocks for Android
2. Penny Stocks for iPhone
With our penny stock scanners, finding hot penny stocks have never been easier.
However, keep in mind the risks involved with trading penny stocks, especially low volume penny stocks. High volume penny stocks offer more illiquidity and are easier to sell and buy, whereas it is harder to find buyers and sellers with low volume penny stocks.
We do not make any recommendations on which stocks to buy, a trader will need to decide for himself which cheap stocks to buy. The stocks are updated each day after the market close. We do not offer intraday quotes. Penny stocks trading is risky and one should only trade with the money that he can afford to lose.
Learn how to trade penny stocks
Hottest Technology Stocks
Options Strategy - 738% ROI
Stock Market Basics